Thank you to everyone who has sent my little Mack well wishes over the last week…I’m happy to report that he’s doing much better! Although we don’t have an answer to the mystery yet, we have learned a lot.
Here is what we do know:
- Mack is a big-time trooper.
- He trusts us unconditionally and loves to be held like a baby.
- He also has a newly discovered affinity for green Gatorade (just like his Mama).
- His sickness lasted for two weeks, to-the-day
- In total, he’s lost nearly 7 lbs, almost 20% of his body-weight.
- Mack has a rare and violent allergic response to a very popular anti-vomiting medication called Cerenia. Any new medication isn’t to be taken lightly.
- Quick action and Benedryl probably saved his life.
- We are very thankful that he’s showing signs of improvement with each passing day.
- The original cause of his sickness and that of at least 5 other neighborhood dogs, is still undetermined.
Despite all he’s been through in the last two weeks, Mack is still silly and mischievous! He’s even going to make a much anticipated re-appearance at doggie school later this week…can’t wait!!
I would also like to extend my deepest appreciation to my neighbors, friends and our Vet, Dr. Feola. Thank you for really listening, for your concern and for taking a sincere interest in finding answers.
“It’s easy to think horses when you hear hoof-beats. Remembering that sometimes, it just might be zebras…can truly make a difference.”
I promise to keep everyone posted on any new developments as this doesn’t appear to be an isolated incident. In the meantime, we are planning to be extra cautious with our pups.